Sunday, August 26, 2012

Words stick





 You can't tame your tongue only surrender it to God.

For me, I can't watch movies with a lot of cussing. just isn't cool to me and the words play back in my head.  So many times too, I see my children picking up language they hear.  We are really careful in our house to not watch tv.  We have DVDs we watch and Netflix. That's it. We want to be intentional and proactive with what is going in our minds.

Word's stick, I don't care what they say about rubber and glue, it doesn't bounce off anywhere, they are messy. they just get stuck.  It like bounces and sticks in your hair and then you have to have freezing peanut butter in your hair.

What do your words say about you?  I want to build up and bless others, the only way that's possible is to allow God, in my quiet time, to fill me with gratitude as I decide to be positive.

"Encourage one another and build each other up." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Are you cursed by words?

We've all been verbally abused at one point or another.  I know I have.  Words that have stuck with me. Tapes that play over in my head.  I have let them linger and corrupt my thoughts.  I have been on the other side of a disagreement that should have ended sooner and words were said that crushed me.

"...the tongue is a small part of the body but makes great boasts. consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.  The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body.  It corrupts the whole person, set the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. " - James 3:5-6

I don't want to say words that tear down.  I pray that those I love feel built up in our conversations, that they walk away knowing how much I love them.

On the bottom of our sermon outline, our pastor put two verses for us to tear off and put in a place you will see them during the day (my first thought was my mouth!)

Here they are:

"Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. - Psalm 141:3

"For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks" -Matthew 12:34

-taken from "Words Matter" August 26,2012 -Pastor Shawn Robinson, Clayton Community Church

No comments: