Monday, October 1, 2012

Reaching Always Reaching

Happy Monday! 





On my jog this morning, I played this song over and over - I l.o.v.e. this song and the lyrics:

Baptize my Mind
Reaching always reaching
Never reaching solid ground
Seeking always seeking
Never seeking what I've found

Hey, baptize my mind
Hey, baptize my eyes
Hey, baptize my mind
For these seeds to give birth to life
First it must die

Both my hands are filled with guilt
(Be my absolution)
Oh with my eyes are blind with filth
(Be my absolution, absolution)

Hey, baptize my mind
Hey, baptize my eyes
Hey, baptize my mind
For these seeds to give birth to life
First they must die

Hey, baptize my mind
Hey, baptize my eyes
Hey, baptize my mind
For these seeds to give birth to life
First they must die


I had a long Sunday morning at church.  Our small group was up front sharing in the first hour-so the kids and I went early.  Bryan teaches the first hour in church so I usually sit with him for the second hour of worship.  Which meant that I got to hear the sermon twice.  I don't mind that though, more chances for God's word to smack me around and sink into my hard heart.  

Pastor Shawn talked about Saul's conversion...he knew the law and hated Christians.  He was "full throttle" for what he thought was the right thing to do.  What I realized is that I have been like Saul in that I've lived my life trying to measure up, trying to please God with my actions.   I've thought if I knew scripture better, I would grow more and thus LOOK like a stronger Christian.  

 It's not about my actions or my faith.  We have are shielded by God's power and He has called us to Him - simply worship in His presence.  I love the reassurance of knowing that what I have in our Lord will never fade out.  

In his great mercy(N) he has given us new birth(O) into a living hope(P) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,(Q) and into an inheritance(R) that can never perish, spoil or fade.(S) This inheritance is kept in heaven for you,(T)who through faith are shielded by God’s power(U) until the coming of the salvation(V) that is ready to be revealed(W) in the last time." 1 Peter 1:3-5

As I was out this morning I was reminded of how many times I go back to my own understanding...my own will...my own strength.  Lord knows how crazy my thoughts are.  Seriously all over the place!  He knows I think about Him too... I don't always have time to spend reading the Bible.  He made me, He understands that right?

Wrong.

He DOES understand me; but in understanding the true me, He also knows that I NEED HIM.  Even when I think I don't.  I am not DOING the right thing or being "good".  That's all the more reason to come to him - Doubt and all.   It's about transformation in Him, not my works or my strength.  

Just trusting.   Even when I can't see or understand.  He is still there. I am still with Him.  Reading his word reminds me of that.

In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

The little while to me says a LIFETIME.  It's a lifetime of struggle and misunderstandings...we live in a flawed world.  

Just like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football that Lucy is holding...we can't put our trust in others or in this world. 



We have a HOPE though! There's more than this life! 

Just recently I realized that the Israelites in the Old Testament is about you and me.  I've always looked at them as history and not as smart as me ;) Like, oh, they had to make those silly choices cause they were in a dirty desert and had to ride on stinky camels and stuff... bunch of whiners.

But what hit me was that this life, now, right now, is like what they went through...the desert, trusting in Moses and God...we go through the same things.  Don't we?  Many times, I don't realize it until I've spend time in prayer, reading my Bible and with my small group.

I want God to baptize my mind - I want to go "full throttle" for Jesus.  In order for this to take place in our lives, we must let the other stuff that pulls us away from our Lord go. All those things must die.

Hang in there, trust in the One who made you, He will never fail you.

“So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. For in just a very little while, He who is coming will come and will not delay…(see Habakkuk 2:3,4).”

No comments: